ShareThis The Modern Wayfarer: Sugar high on 50th Street

Monday, May 10, 2010

Sugar high on 50th Street

So after an impromptu cocktail gathering at a friend's place on Friday evening, I made my way home through Hell's Kitchen. Since I hadn't walked on 10th Avenue in a while, I found myself taking a slightly different route than the norm... and I'm glad I did. Just off of the northeast corner of 10th Avenue ad 50th street is probably the best incarnation of empty calories I've encountered in quite some time (and I'm not referring to the cocktails we had just enjoyed). Ruby et Violette is home to some of the guiltiest pleasures in the baking world. Since I was not alone (had my better half in tow), I took the R & V motto of "Live life richly. Indulge" quite literally. I think we ordered one of just about every item on their menu of brownies and cookies. The standouts are the blondies and the peanut chocholoate chunk cookies [or the 'perfect' which is their version of the classic chocholate chunk cookie]. Each of these little gems comes peftectly packaged in its own [just short of fussy] celophane jewel case. If there is one thing the proprietors seem to get, it's how to market their calories. Every bit of the experience seems perfectly branded to June Cleaver's exacting specifications... and it seems to be working as the big "O" has already waived her magic wand of endorsement over the operation as touted on their website. I am glad though that the friendly folks over at Ruby et Violette haven't forgotten that a storefront with a bit of friendly human interaction still makes sense when it comes to certain things... like serving up the 'perfect' chocolate chip cookie.
Ruby et Violette [The Indulgent Baker] is located at 457 West 50th Street at 10th Avenue, just a short walk from all four midtown Vikram Chatwal Hotels. You can give them a ring at (718) 728-6250 or visit them online at http://www.rubyetviolette.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
ShareThis